Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Call to the Rain

 The Lord shall cause your enemies who rise up against you to be defeated before your face; they shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways.
 The Lord shall command the blessing upon you in your storehouse and in all that you undertake. And He will bless you in the land which the Lord your God gives you.
 The Lord will establish you as a people holy to Himself, as He has sworn to you, if you keep the commandments of the Lord your God and walk in His ways.   Deuteronomy 28: 7-9

The garden is coming in...green tomatoes are growing quickly.  Purple okra that I can't wait to try.  We have even been blessed with squash this summer.
Potatoes that are yummy!!  I canned a lot more of those this year and will probably be doing even more a little later.


Last night, my husband and I drove over to the land, just the two of us. My older son stayed home with the little one.  We sat in the truck at the land, rolled down the windows and watched to see if any deer came out.  That is a slow way to spend time.  I don't often get to slow down like that.  

As we sat, we talked.  We don't often get to do that either.  We did not see any deer.  But we saw a little dove walking on the ground in front of us. We saw amazing cloud formations and felt the cool breeze.  We heard the coo of the dove.  And we heard toads, singing to each other.  I have not heard this before.  One started up, then another, then it seemed like an entire choir of toads were croaking.

"They are calling to the rain," my husband said.

"I've never heard that," I replied.

"It usually rains after toads do that," he offered.

Sure enough it started raining on our way home.


****************
Today the whole family went to the land for a picnic supper.  On the way out of the drive, we checked the brambles to see if the blackberries were ready yet.  Cannot wait to make some blackberry jam!  The bushes are loaded!!  Still need to ripen up a bit but lots were already ready.  So my husband jumped out and picked several for us.  Yummy!  Sweetness right off the land.  And from such a thorny plant.

Today I heard God in the whisper of toad songs, the fullness of a filled "storehouse",  and the sweetness of a plump blackberry eaten fresh picked from the brambles.  Where did you hear God today?




2 comments:

  1. I so needed to hear Him in His word this morning-in Judges-Gideon's story. So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story of Gideon IS an awesome one! Enjoyed rereading it after you brought it to mind :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment below! Have a blessed day in the Lord!

A Different Field

I haven't been posting on this blog for several months. It has been a hard season but God is faithful. My first post back is not even ...